Halston and Andy sitting. (Source)
N E W S :
- DMAC has unleashed their Art Meets Fashion programing in the spirit of the new exhibition opening this evening, Halston & Warhol: Silver & Suede. Jeff Flemming tells Mollie Cooney about the ultrasuede you will encounter.
- River City Art & Music is Building Creative Connections One Stranger At A Time
- Des Moines’ Landmark Review Board voted unanimously Tuesday to support designating the downtown Riverfront YMCA as a local landmark. Read more.
- YP Spotlight on Katelyn McBurney and the Chapman House residency space.
- Common Threads on Design on Main closes Friday. Article detailing the conception of this interactive garment exhibition.
E V E N T S :
September 18, Thursday:
September 19, Friday:
September 20, Saturday:
10 AM - Caffeinated Show & Tell
Nathan Carder, a former Des Moines Art Center Iowa Artist, Drake graduate, and Central Iowa native is returning to Des Moines to exhibit a suite of new work inspired by recent travels in China and Tibet. Carder lives and works in Chicago.
September 21, Sunday:
September 23, Tuesday:
7 PM - Decorous: Art and Poetry
An independent reading series based in Des Moines that features Iowa-based artists alongside poets from across the country.
D E A D L I N E S :
Greater Des Moines Exhibited 21 Polk County Heritage Gallery, Des Moines IA DEADLINE September 22
Lou Henry Hoover Memorial Sculpture Garden Waterloo IA DEADLINE September 30
Holiday Arts Festival Waterloo IA DEADLINE September 30
“go figure” Black Earth Gallery, Cedar Rapids IA DEADLINE October 7
Small Works Show The Chait Galleries Downtown, Iowa City DEADLINE October 10
Ames is 150 Ames IA DEADLINE October 31st
Iowa Arts Council DEADLINE November 3
One of Stanley Hess’s mosaic murals in the Downtown Y. The building has been recommended for local landmark status because of “its midcentury modern architecture, its murals built into the masonry and its historic ties to the city”. (Source)